Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mary's Early Motherhood: Through Her Eyes


Today, mothers usually learn from a doctor or through a home pregnancy test that they have conceived a baby - but not Mary. Through her journal, readers can join her on her journey and experience the emotion she felt when she learned from an angel that she was going to become a mother - and not just any mother:

“You will conceive in your womb and bring forth a son. He will be great and will be called the son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David.”

The long awaited Messiah was going to be born in Nazareth to a humble, peasant girl. She had no reason for worry, yet like most mothers, she was still anxious:        

“Why am I worried? I am carrying the son of God. Joseph and my parents will be as delighted as I am, won’t they?”

Mary looked forward to becoming a mother, but because of Joseph’s disbelief, her future was uncertain. She never doubted her ability to be a good mother. Her only concern was that she would be unable to give this child back to his heavenly father when he called for him:

“He will take nourishment from my body for nine months. He will drink from my breast for two years. How can I bear to give him back to You?”

When the time came for Mary’s child to be delivered, she was frantic to find a suitable place. She struggled with the thought of becoming a mother in a stable full of animals. She thought that God would certainly provide a more worthy place for the birth of his son, but it wasn’t to be:

“I wanted to insist we travel further, but my mind finally surrendered to the demands of my body. It didn’t seem to matter to this precious little baby whether we were in a mansion or a stable.”

Reaching motherhood in a dark, dusty stable surrounded by God’s creatures was not how Mary had dreamed this miraculous event would happen. Although alone, she had her heavenly father to guide her.

“The voice of the midwife who attended Elizabeth echoed in my mind. I obeyed her command and pushed as hard as I could until my son finally arrived.”

In one of the lowliest places in the city, Mary became the mother of God’s son. She cuddled her baby, felt his breath on her cheeks and fell in love as only a mother can.

Join Mary on her magnificent journey through the first 30 years of Jesus' life through Jesus My Son: Mary's Journal of Jesus' Early Life, available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment