Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mary's View: Why God chose Mary to be the Mother of His son

“For nothing is impossible with God” Luke 1:37

Did Mary really write a journal? Most scholars will say girls during Mary’s time were not able to write. But is it possible? Yes, it is and how much better is Jesus’ story when written by His mother. There is so much during Jesus’ early life that only Mary would know. If we are not allowed to believe she wrote these events for us to know the real Jesus, how will we ever learn of them?

(The following blog uses excerpts from Chapter One of Jeus My Son: Mary's Journal of Jesus' Early Life)

When the angel greeted Mary, she wondered why God had chosen her. She was a humble peasant girl with no unique qualities except one.

     The only difference between me and all the other girls is my ability to read and write.

Girls during those times, as a rule, did not read nor write. So how did Mary learn these skills?

     Fortunately, my parents believed in the importance of education for girls as well as boys.

Did Mary enjoy using her writing skills?

      Like the patriarch, David, with his holy verses of praise, my love for writing is only second to my love of serving my dear Lord.

Writing material was scarce during Mary’s time. How did she obtain the material she needed to learn the skill or to record in her journal?

     Since both my parents work closely with the priests in the synagogue, they have access to the parchment and papyrus left from the priests’ studies. They bring home every scrap piece of writing material and every extra drop of ink they can find to encourage us to write.


God looked at Mary’s heart and saw that she was worthy to be the mother of the Messiah. Did Mary think her ability to write may have influenced God’s choice?

     God knew I would be compelled to record the events of his son to tell the world things that only a mother would know. Surely that is one of the reasons God chose me.

Mary Bailey is the author of Jesus My Son: Mary's Journal of Jesus' Early Life. Visit http://www.jesusmyson.com/ for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment